Here at Biome, we have recently started stocking Parissa products. Parissa is an all natural hair removal brand from Canada, famous for their no-compromises all natural & organic hair removal products. We thought it might be a good time to share some of our top tips for bikini waxing, leg waxing and waxing in general.
First, About Parissa
You can read Parissa's brand story on their brand page, but in case you haven't had a chance to look yet we'll give you a quick rundown here. Parissa was started after Azar Moayeri (who happens to be the first female Chemical Engineer to graduate from the University of Edinburgh) moved to Canada, seeking a new venture to support her and her family. Azar started Parissa out of her home kitchen, focussing on making natural, organic & non-toxic waxes that could be used at home or in a professional capacity. If you are interested in learning more, check out the Parissa brand page >.
Using Organic Sugar Wax on Your Body
Parissa's goal is to help everyone feel comfortable in their own skin, whether that includes removing hair or not. If you have decided to remove some hair, Parissa's organic, toxin-free Legs & Body Sugar Wax makes it a breeze. The organic Sugar Wax box comes with 240mL of sugar wax, 30 epilation strips (which can be washed, reused and are then biodegradable once they can no longer be used) and 3 wooden spatulas. It is perfect for waxing bikini lines, legs, underarms and your top lip. One of the best things about Sugar Wax is that excess can be easily washed away with warm water.
1. Remove the cap and seal from the jar.
2. Place on a microwavable dish in the center of the microwave.
3. Microwave the wax on high for 30 seconds. Microwaves can vary so heat in 10 sec increments. Do not handle the jar as it may be HOT. The wax consistency should be liquid.
4. Stir wax well with spatula. Test temperature before use as wax may be hot. Wax should be fluid but never too hot to burn. Parissa Wax Warmer can be used for heating.
Apply wax in a thin layer in the direction of hair growth. On your legs, this is down towards your feet. Use as little wax as possible for the best results. The edge of the wooden spatula is excellent for spreading the wax and scraping off excess.
1. Press the epilation strip firmly onto the freshly applied wax.
2. Hold the skin beneath the strip (near the bottom of your leg) and grip the end of the strip that is closest to your foot. This is the correct direction to pull the strip to minimise pain.
3. 'Zip' the epilation strip off as quickly as possible. Ensure you pull parallel to your leg (not at an angle coming out from your leg)! Zipping away from your leg can cause the skin to lift and may cause irritation or bruising. See the video for an example.
1. It is important to check the direction of hair growth in the underarm region. Direction of growth varies between individuals.
2. Collect a small amount of wax on the spatula, scraping off any excess back into the jar.
3. Apply the wax in a thin layer in the direction of hair growth.
4. Firmly press on the epilation strip.
5. To keep your skin taut, stretch your arm as far back behind your head as possible.
6. Using your other hand, zip the strip off as quickly as possible. This motion should be performed in the opposite direction to hair growth.
7. Ensure you keep your hand close to your skin and pull parallel to your skin. NEVER pull the strip at an angle away from your body.
To apply the wax in the direction of hair growth, start in the middle of the upper lip and spread a think layer of wax towards the corner of your mouth. ONLY apply to one side of the lip at a time. You can use the edge of the spatula to get a nice spread. Then simply apply the epilation strip and press down.
1. Keep your skin taught with one hand and by pressing your tongue to the inside of your lip.
2. Zip the epilation strip off confidently in the opposite direction to application and hair growth (towards the center of your lip).
3. Remember, keep your zipping hand close to the skin and pull parallel to your skin, NOT at an outwards angle.
Once again, it is imperative to establish the direction of hair growth. In the bikini/brazilian area, hair may grow in multiple directions. If this is the case, take it slow, doing small areas at a time. If you can't establish the direction of growth, it may help to trim the hair to (no shorter than!) 1cm. Apply a thin layer of wax in the direction of hair growth and press the epilation strip down firmly.
1. Keep skin taut with your free hand.
2. Zip the epilation strip off confidently and quickly. Remember: only pull parallel to your skin and not at an outwards angle.
Follow these directions if you are using the handy roll-on version of Parissa's Organic Sugar Wax. When using the roll-on device, there are a few handy tips that will help to keep it working properly.
1. As with the manual application, use as little wax as possible on each area.
2. Frequently place the roll-on device upside down in the cap to ensure a consistent flow.
3. Rotate the device so you are rolling wax on from one direction to another. This will help to prevent clumping.
Roll the wax in the same direction as hair growth. On your legs, this is from your waist down towards your feet.
Check hair growth direction carefully. Apply as little wax as possible in the same direction as hair growth.
Start in the middle of your upper lip and roll outwards towards the edge of your mouth. At the very most, only apply to half of your upper lip at one time.
Check the direction of hair growth before application. If it is hard to tell, you may find that trimming your hair to (at the very least) 1cm helps.
Important Safety Information:
Please read this section of disclaimers from Parissa before beginning to use your new waxing products.
- ALWAYS do a patch test. Wait 24hr and if no irritation occurs, continue.
- HAIR MUST be 2mm or longer for best results.
- WASH & DRY SKIN before use.
- DO NOT WAX sensitive, sunburned, irritated or injured skin.
- AVOID varicose veins, moles & warts.
- DO NOT sunbathe before or after waxing.
- DO NOT use deodorants, antiperspirants, alcohols, astringents or any beauty products for 24hr on waxed areas.
- IMPROPER USE like pulling wax up or away from skin & waxing same area more than once in 24hr will cause irritation, bruising or skin lifting.
Hopefully this helps you on your next waxing adventure. Whether you are waxing your legs, waxing your armpits, doing bikini & brazilian waxing, or waxing your face, Parissa Organic Sugar Wax is right for you.