Our DIY hair wax and conditioning balm was developed by Nancy in her kitchen at home after her son ran out of hair product... again! With nourishing shea butter and cocoa butter, a little caster oil for shine, and lavender and rosemary essential oils for hair health, this nourishing balm can be used to style and control modern hairstyles, or to condition dry and damaged hair. When used as a styling hair wax, it provides a flexible hold, a semi matte sheen, and won't flake. When used as a conditioning balm, it will help to nourish dry hair and tame fly-aways.
Behind the Scenes
We thought we would also share this fun little behind the scenes story of how our DIY hair wax and conditioning balm was made. SON (16): Mum, I need more hair wax stuff. ME: Again! Really! (at $25 a tub and going through it in three weeks!) SON: Yep, otherwise my life is over! And it'll be all your fault. ME: Hah! I don't think so, I'll make you some then. SON: Aww mum... noooo... seriously! Not your organic stuff! ME: Oi! Watch your language, son. I'm making it... no arguments! 30 minutes later ME: It's ready! SON: Hmmmpf... OK, what ever... yawn... He takes it and wanders off and comes back 2 minutes later looking bored, which is nothing unusual. ME: (Trying to contain my excitement!) And!? SON: Yeah... smells ok I suppose, not too greasy... it'll do... where's the food.... sly grin. TRANSLATION: It's actually pretty good, doesn't smell organic and it works... oh... and thanks mum, you're the best!! Smirk.. ;-) ME: (After he goes back to his bedroom, AKA cave) I fist pump the air! Whisper a woo hoo, do a mini victory dance in the kitchen and maybe a really pathetic moon walk. WINNING!
Before & After
- 1 tablespoon beeswax (or half tablespoon candelilla wax for a vegan version)
- 2 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon castor oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- Place all the ingredients except the essential oils into a glass jar. Place the jar into a saucepan with approximately 5 cm of water in it. Turn to medium heat and stir the mixture in the jar until it has all melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the essential oils to the mixture and stir.
- Carefully pour into a 60ml metal container and let cool completely.