Our DIY perfume balm is a beautiful, simple, low tox way to create a pretty personal fragrance without harmful synthetic chemicals and fake smells. Combining nourishing shea and jojoba oil, as well as a range of pure essential oils, our DIY perfume balm is long lasting, customisable and easy to keep in your bag or on your desk.
We've called this one a Pretty Petals Rose Perfume Balm, but you could use a range of different essential oils to suit your taste. Perhaps something less floral and more woody for your organic perfume - it's up to you.
Find the recipe and links to the ingredients below.
Make Your Own Perfume Balm
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals (to infuse overnight in jojoba oil)
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil (you will only need to use 1 tablespoon in this recipe - once you infuse the rose petals overnight, you should be left with just 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1 tablespoon candelilla wax
- 1 tablespoon rosehip oil
- ¼ teaspoon Australian pink clay
- 6 drops rose geranium essential oil
- 4 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 4 drops frankincense essential oil
- 4 drops bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops patchouli essential oil
- Combine the rose petals and the jojoba oil in a small mason jar and leave to infuse overnight. The next day, thoroughly strain the oil through a garni bag, some muslin or a fine sieve into a cup and set aside. You may need to squeeze the rose petals to get more of the oil out.
- In a mason jar or glass jug, combine 1 tablespoon of the rose infused jojoba oil with the shea butter and candelilla wax.
- Place the jar or jug into a saucepan filled with approximately 5cm of water. Turn heat to medium-low and heat until wax has melted. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Stir in the rosehip oil, pink clay and essential oils. Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Carefully pour the mixture into your containers. Leave to cool completely before sealing with the lid. This will ensure there is no moisture build up inside the lid which could ruin your batch. Store out of direct sunlight and away from heat.
How To Use
Use within 6-9 months. Apply a little to your pulse points, neck and décolleté using clean dry fingers. Don't have time to infuse? That's ok! Just leave out the rose petal infusion process and use 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil as is. This recipe makes enough to fill 2 x 15ml containers.
Tip: Rub a small amount of this perfume balm into the tips of your hair. It will not only condition dry damaged ends, but will also surround you with wonderful floral aroma.
Note: Our perfume balm recipe gets it's pink hue from the pink clay. This won't stain your skin or clothes. Recipe by Nancy George.
Find more recipes here for a DIY Natural Perfume Oil and Perfume Spray.
Not ready to make your own? Shop our ready made perfume balms
As with all our DIY recipes, you can experiment to suit your preferences. Many factors can change the end result, including temperature, humidity, light, ingredient quality. Some DIYs can be amended by remelting or adding ingredients, but some cannot. Please read the whole recipe before beginning and remember to have fun!
Before using any raw DIY ingredient for the first time, please first research that ingredient's potential benefits as well as safety precautions and possible side effects. Check with your medical professional if you have any concerns.
Please exercise caution when using essential oils. If you are pregnant or have any kind of health or skin condition, we recommend you speak to your doctor before use. Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids, so use in moderation. Pure essential oils should never be used directly on the skin and should never be ingested. When using an essential oil for the first time, do a skin patch test. Each essential oil is unique and may not be suited to everyone. Please research potential benefits as well as safety precautions before using any essential oil. Some essential oils may interfere with medication. Check with your medical professional if you have any concerns.
Looking to simplify, reduce waste and know exactly what you are putting on your skin? At Biome's Naked Beauty Bar, you will find all of the beautiful raw ingredients you need to make your own natural skin care and cleaning products.