Modibodi is a revolutionary brand of reusable leak-proof underwear that can help you manage periods, incontinence, perspiration and pregnancy. Modibodi underwear is made of high-quality fabrics such as bamboo and merino wool, has vegan fabric versions also, with a patented Modifier Technology™ layer that absorbs and locks away fluids, prevents odours and fights bacteria. Modi bodi underwear is designed to be comfortable, breathable and eco-friendly, and can completely replace disposable pads, liners and tampons. Not sure about what period underwear actually does? Please read our blog post Everything you need to know about period underwear.
So, how do you wash Modibodi? Is it easy to clean and care for? Can you put Modibodi in the dryer? Does Modibodi stain? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and more, and give you some very helpful tips on how to wash and care for all period underwear properly.
How to wash Modibodi
The first thing you need to know about washing Modibodi underwear is to rinse first before putting them in the washing machine. This will help remove any excess fluids and stains from the fabric. To rinse Modibodi underwear, simply run them under cold water until the water runs clear. You can gently rub the fabric with your fingers to help loosen any stubborn stains.
Do not use hot water, chlorine bleach or fabric softener, as these can damage the fabric and reduce its effectiveness. In fact, using hot water on blood stains 'sets' the stain - read more on that below.
What about stains? Modibodi claims to be stain resistant and that staining should not be an issue. However, should you have a persistent stain, please see the answer below on how to use Oxygen bleach to remove stains on period underwear.
After rinsing Modibodi undies, you have two options: you can either hand wash them or machine wash them on a gentle cycle with cold water and mild laundry detergent.
Do not use harsh chemicals, enzymes or whiteners, as these can harm the fabric and cause irritation to your skin. It's fine to wash Modi bodi period underwear with other clothes of similar colours, but avoid washing them with towels or other linty items, as these can stick to the fabric and affect its performance.
Once your Modibodi item is washed hang to dry, preferably outside if you can.
If you have an urgent need for dry undies, the occasional low heat tumble in the dryer should not ruin your Modibodi.
Period underwear manufacturers do advise refraining from using a dryer as consistent exposure to high temperatures can break down the hi-tech function and shorten the life of the garment.
Do not use an iron on your underwear, as this will damage the synthetic fabric and cause it to shrink or lose shape.
Hang your underwear in a well-ventilated area to help them dry faster and prevent any mould or mildew growth. We recommend one of our stainless steel sock hangers as a quick and convenient solution!
More Modibodi washing instructions for stains
If you follow the Modibodi washing instructions above, you should have no trouble keeping your underwear stain free. However, here are some extra tips you can try for removing stains:
- Wash your modibodi underwear as soon as possible after wearing them. Do not leave them unwashed for too long, as this can cause bacteria and odours to build up in the fabric.
- After rinsing in cold water, soak your Modibodi underwear in cold water with a dash of vinegar or baking soda before washing. This can help neutralise any odours and help to remove any stains from the fabric.
- Use a gentle stain remover stick to treat any stubborn stains on your Modi bodi underwear before rinsing them. Do not scrub or rub too hard, as this can damage the fabric and cause it to pill or tear.
- Soak in oxygen bleach, as per the instructions below.
Do Modibodi smell after washing?
One of the benefits of Modibodi period underwear is that they prevent odours from escaping thanks to their Modifier Technology™ layer. This layer contains natural fibres that fight bacteria and trap odours inside the fabric. However, this does not mean that your Modibodi undies will never smell at all. Depending on how heavy your flow is, how long you wear them for, and how well you wash them, your Modibodi underwear may still have some residual smell after washing.
The good news is that this smell is usually mild and harmless, and will fade away over time as your Modibodi underwear dries completely. You can also use some natural remedies to help eliminate any odours from your Modibodi underwear, such as:
- Add essential oils such as lavender or tea tree to your rinse water. These oils have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can help freshen up your period underwear.
- Hanging Modibodi underwear outside in the sun or near an open window. The fresh air and sunlight can help kill any bacteria and reduce odours.
- Place a non toxic moisture absorber Linii Huon pine in with your clothes.
How to use oxygen bleach (Sodium Percarbonate) on period underwear
To use oxygen bleach to deal with stains on any synthetic fabric such as period underwear, you need to be careful and follow some precautions. Oxygen bleach leaves only oxygen molecules rather than corrosive chlorine. However, it can still damage fabrics if used incorrectly.
- Dilute the oxygen bleach with water according to the instructions on the package. Do not use too much or it will damage the fabric.
- Soak your Modibodi underwear in the oxygen bleach solution for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not soak for too long as this can weaken the fabric. With oxygen bleach, the key cleaning action happens with the first reaction between the water and sodium percarbonate, so there is no benefit in leaving to soak for a longer time.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water and wash as per the instructions above.
Learn the full details of how to use oxygen bleach for laundry here.
Modibodi underwear is a great way to manage your leaks and save the planet at the same time. By following the Modibodi washing instructions and tips above, you can keep your period underwear clean, fresh and effective for a long time. Remember to rinse, wash, dry and store your Modibodi underwear properly, and use some natural remedies to help remove any odours or stains. With Modibodi underwear, you can go with a different flow and feel confident and comfortable every day.