What is a natural mouthwash?Natural mouth wash is an alternate solution to commercial recipes that commonly mix alcohols, sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), triclosan, sodium benzoate, methyl paraben, and ethyl paraben. These ingredients could cause serious long-term implications, including liver failure, which can result in a lot of severe medical complications. The big front and centre brands that you commonly see on the shelves at the local supermarket use these ingredients as they provide significant profit margins and contribute to longer shelf life.
Why should you use natural mouthwash?
1. Controlled ingredientsDIY natural mouth wash isn't a cheaper option, but you can rest assured that you know exactly what's going into the bottle (and into your mouth). As mentioned above, avoiding harmful toxins and parabens can reduce the risk of health issues later down the track.
2. For sensitive mouthsThe harsh nature of the ingredients used in a lot of oral hygiene products these days can cause aches and pains for those suffering from oral sensitivity due to medications or decay. A natural mouth wash will provide a softer experience due to the quality and purity of the ingredients used in the wash.
3. It's tasty!Most people associate mouth wash with being overly minty, alcoholic, and just being overall quite sterile in the mouth to the point where it feels like your taste buds are burning off! But you can use natural ingredients (like the ones we're about the share), for a better physical result and an even better taste!
4. It's great for youNatural mouth wash products have natural anti-bacterial properties. Most companies that use ‘lab ingredients' adopt Triclosan as their anti-bacterial agent. But recent studies have shown the connection between Triclosan decreasing the impact of antibiotics.
5. You can have fun with it!Have fun with altering ingredients (without being a mad scientist) and even get the kids or friends involved and make a Sunday afternoon of it.
How to Make Natural Homemade Mouthwash - the RecipeBelow, we outline the benefits of the particular ingredients we use in our natural mouthwash. Bi-Carb is antiseptic, antifungal, and a natural deodoriser, so it keeps your mouth clean and breath fresh. Tasmanian Sea Salt has a high mineral content that helps remove toxins from your mouth. Peppermint Essential Oil has powerful antiseptic and astringent properties – it will thoroughly clean and may prevent infection in your mouth. It will also leave breath minty-fresh. Thyme Essential Oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic, naturally cleaning and detoxifying inside your mouth.
- ½ cup filtered or distilled water
- 1 tsp Bi-Carb
- ½ tsp Tasmanian Sea Salt
- 2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops Thyme Essential Oil