How to Make Your Own Homemade ToothpasteThis DIY toothpaste recipe is not only beneficial for your health but cost-effective and convenient too. In fact, you're likely to find many of the required ingredients in your pantry already. These include: Coconut oil – is known to help boost the microbiome in your gut (gut health begins in the mouth), and naturally prevents candida in the mouth. Bentonite clay – a natural polisher, rich in minerals that isn't too abrasive. It is also alkaline, helping to reduce acidity in the mouth. Bi-carb soda – another alkaline ingredient, that will help to neutralize acids from the foods we eat, without being too abrasive.
DIY Natural Toothpaste Ingredients
- 1/4 cup aluminum-free bi-carb
- 1 teaspoon bentonite clay
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Distilled water or cooled boiled water
- 6-8 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of stevia liquid to taste (optional)
- In a small 120ml glass jar, combine the bi-carb and bentonite clay and mix with a wooden utensil (a metal utensil will react with the clay).
- In a separate jug or jar, melt the coconut oil by popping it in a saucepan of water (double boiler method).
- Carefully pour the coconut oil into the bi-carb and bentonite clay mixture to make a paste. Mix in some water, a little at a time to help create your desired texture. Add more coconut oil if needed.
- Add 5-6 drops of peppermint oil to the mixture
- Add one drop of stevia liquid at a time to taste (optional).
- Store out of direct sunlight and use within 6 months.
How to Use
Using a small non-metallic spoon or utensil, scoop a small amount of toothpaste onto your brush. Brush as normal and rinse your mouth with water. Brush 2-3 times a day, combined with flossing, tongue scraping, a healthy diet rich in vegetables, and lots of water.
If you're not up to making homemade toothpaste, but would still like to switch from a commercial formula to a natural one, view our range of natural toothpaste products here. Palm oil free Toothpaste tablets are also convenient plastic free way to clean your teeth.